The immense earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear accident that beset the Tohoku region of Japan on March 11, 2011 inflicted severe damages that far exceeded our imagination. Entire hometowns, family histories, and businesses were washed away within an instant and countless invaluable lives were lost.
Even now, the evacuation centers of the disaster area are sheltering many orphans who are bravely bearing up under the abrupt misfortune of losing their parents, siblings, and grandparents.
Sixteen years ago, after experiencing the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake on January 17, 1995, we founded the Momo-Kaki Orphans Fund together with caring minds who shared our vision to look after the orphans by supporting their schooling for a period of ten years. [The name of the Momo-Kaki Orphans Fund was inspired from the proverb, "momo-kuri san-nen, kaki hachi-nen" ("three years for peaches and chestnuts, eight years for persimmons"), which observes how a certain amount of time is required for actions to bear fruit.] After collecting donations for ten years from many generous companies and individuals, a total of over 490 million yen was distributed to the orphans through the Hyogo Prefectural Board of Education as scholarships. The orphans were each able to continue to pursue their education, and there are many among them whom have already grown into admirable adults.
The Great East Japan Earthquake has unfortunately orphaned many children once again. We hereby re-establish the Momo-Kaki Orphans Fund in hope of gathering funds to provide aid and encouragement for the children.
We would appreciate to receive your kind contributions in support for our collective efforts to help the orphans who are striving to live strong in the disaster-struck areas.
- 2011.09.27@@1st automatic withdrawal date for 10-year donors who applied before September.
- 2011.09.01@@Fund featured in article in The Asahi Shimbun.
- 2011.08.28@@Fund featured in article in The Chugoku Shimbun.
- 2011.08.27-28@@ARABAKI ROCK FEST. 11 in Kawasaki, Miyagi. A portion of the donations collected at the event have been donated to the Fund.
- 2011.08.20@@Fund featured in article on asahi.com
- 2011.08.19@@Fund featured in article in Asahi Japan Watch.
- 2011.08.09@@Fund featured in article in The Asahi Shimbun.
- 2011.07.12@@Fund featured in article in The Kobe Shimbun.
- 2011.06.22@@Fund featured in article in The Nikkei Shimbun and The Yomiuri Shimbun.
- 2011.06.16@@Fund featured on MBS "Chichinpuipui" television program.
- 2011.06.06@@Fund featured in article on WSJ.com.